Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes…A Makeover Dedication

It’s a cold, dreary day, here in East Texas. A good day to sit down & do this dedication I’ve been wanting to do.

I recently bought a cabinet and, when we went to pick it up, the owner seemed to be in a rush so, we just hurried and put it in the truck and off we went. The Mister & I realized this piece seemed to be a lot heavier than we had expected but, that was fine, just odd. We chalked it up to the fact the owner said the drawers didn’t come all the way out, adding weight to the whole piece, when lifting. We got it at an amazing bargain so, I wasn’t too concerned with that. However, I got a little emotional when he said his Mom had passed and he was selling a lot of her belongings.

This is how it looked when I got it. You may not be able to see but, it had a lot of scratches & I'm not a fan of orangish stained furniture.

This is how it looked when I got it. You may not be able to see but, it had a lot of scratches & I’m not a fan of orangish stained furniture.

Upon arriving home to unload, we realized the cabinet was so heavy because, IT WAS FULL OF STUFF!! Things that must have belonged to his Mom. I contacted him & he said “do whatever you want with it”. So, here I stood, someone’s belongings before me and, all  I could do was sing the great, George Jones’ song (in my head) Who’s Gonna Wear Their Shoes. Especially since hers were sitting before me.

Who's Gonna Wear Their Shoes

Who’s Gonna Wear Their Shoes

My Mom lost her battle against Breast Cancer, 26 years ago and, I have nothing of hers. So, I couldn’t just let this lady leave this world, and let her things be forgotten. I never knew her yet, she touched my heart. I know she was a God Fearing woman because, she had books she wrote in about scripture and song.

Scripture and Song

Scripture and Song

I know she had great taste in movies & games.

Movies and Dominoes

Movies and Dominoes

I hope she liked Hydrangea, since she had book markers, like this one, throughout all her pages.

Hydrangea Book Marker

Hydrangea Book Marker

Also, because, I painted them in her memory. I used Old Town paints in Cottage White, on the cabinet and, a mixture of their fabulous colors on the Hydrangea.

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

Hydrangea Up-Close

Hydrangea Up-Close

Hydrangea Cabinet

Hydrangea Cabinet

God Bless you Mrs. Witt. This is for you AND my Mom….I know you’re “Walking in the Light”

Walking in the Light

Walking in the Light

Hold those you love close and dear…you never know when you will have to give them back ~ Dawn

Comments

1. says

What a wonderful surprise that the cabinet belonged to a Mrs. Witt. Thank you for dedicating the cabinet to her and your Mom. I am sure they are both smiling in Heaven at your beautiful Hydrangea cabinet! Heart touching story that you shared! Thank you!

• Lou Scott says

Dawn, thank you for remembering Mrs. Witt in such a selfless, wonderful and creative manner. It seems God sent this cabinet to you for a special reason. Thank you for sharing Mrs. Witt’s story with us. She is surely looking down from heaven with arms full of hydrangeas singing songs of our Lord with a beautiful smile of contentment on her face. God bless you.

2. Mary VanDerLee says

Just wanted to thank you for a wonderful blog,Mrs. Witt would surely be pleased, you did such a beautiful job and the chest…I have three sons,thinking same could happen to me !!

3. Julia shirley says

How sweet of you to do this. I lost my mother in October and going thru all her stuff it makes u think about when your time comes who will going thru your possessions. Maybe someone like u will……
    Blessings……Julia

• says

Awwww…thank you. I sure hope so. I think it was her personal writings, in her books, that really got to me. Plus, her shoes <3

4. Amy Watson says

Dawn what a beautiful dedication to 2 awesome women, my mom went home to be with The Lord 14 years ago, and me and my sister have all of her books, bible, hankies,her collection of old platters and other great memories in her pictures..we donated her clthes and shoes, she was an impeccable dresser and her clothes needed to go to someone who needed them, but we are so lucky to have so many of her truly loved and personal things…. l am going thru and reading all your posts…love the blog <3 God Bless you sweetie, you have an amazing heart, and talent……Amy

• says

Thank you so much Amy. I’m so Sorry for your loss. I, too, lost my Mom in 1988, at the young age of 41. I had 2 babies, of my own and, gained full custody of 2 little brothers. I still think about her everyday. What she would look like. The look she would give me if I said, let me Google that Mom lol!!! They live on through us though and, for that, I am thankful :)